Monday, June 22, 2009

Florence...The David is That Tall??

The leather market, aka, handbag heaven.
We stayed at a pretty rad hostel in Florence for three nights, Plus Florence, and had a pretty awesome roomies. Since our first day there was actually spent in Tuscany, we had to make up some time and head to the museums early in the am. David and I headed to Uffizi Gallery, which was freaking amazing! On the walk there (which was surprising shorter than we expected from our hostel) we passed the Ponte Vecchio, which is basically a bridge with jewelry shops on it. You can see the pic below. It is beautiful! Then, Kim met up with us for some delicious (I thought) hot chocolate, then we split off from David to go to the leather market. Basically, the leather market was the greatest thing that has ever been created for my life. I think I bought 6 handbags (2 for my sisters) and I could have bought soooo many more, but I stopped myself. I also bought a ton of pashminas, which are glorious and every Italian wears one everyday.


One of three Davids in Florence. This was not to scale of the main one. It was outside of the Uffizi Gallery.
We later reconnected with David to go to Accademia and climb to the top of the Duomo. Accademia is where The David is. After waiting in line with an ex oil company big wig (and his wife, they were awesome) from who used to live in AK and is real close to Sarah Palin - random- we made our way through the museum. I was looking at some statues when David called over to me, "uh, Hannah" I turned around to see the 15 foot tall David statue and was left speechless for about five minutes. I am not even joking. It was the most perfect, beautiful, amazing piece of art that I have ever seen. We walked around it and stared at him forever. I could not keep my eyes off it him. Every vein, every muscle, every wrinkle, my mind had officially been blown.

The beautiful Ponte Vecchio.
After seeing the gloriousness that was David, we met back up with Kim and climbed over 400 steps to the top of the Duomo (church). It was quite a haul, but totally worth it. The view of Florence was phenomenal!! I was pleasantly surprised with Florence. Kim and Josh had told me how much they loved it (and Kim loved the market, of course), so I knew I would be just as jazzed. Florence, you are amazing!!

No comments: