Monday, March 16, 2009

Am I Ready for This?

I am leaving my family and friends behind in the great state of Alaska two months from today!! I am starting to get emotional about it and I think I am in a little bit of denial as well. When I was driving home from my parents house in the valley last night, I started getting teary eyed because the sunset was so amazingly beautiful on Pioneer Peak and the surrounding mountains and I know I will not be seeing that in Minnesota, no sir. It is just one of those things that I take for granted living in Alaska and will not realize how much I miss it until I am gone. I recently realized that subconsciously, I am starting to pull away from people. Knowing that I will be leaving soon and maybe should practice being away from everyone involved in my life. This is completely unintentional. Of course I want to spend all of my time with my family and friends, but I think I am just a basket of emotions and do not want to face reality just yet. Basically I want to cry every time my family is all together, knowing that I will be missing out on all of this in the future. My mom sent my sisters and I an email today that basically said how great we all are and how fortunate we are to have such a close, amazing family, and that they will all miss me. Obviously, I cried. I think all of these emotions I am feeling are completely normal for someone who has never moved away from their family and friends. I just cannot believe this is finally happening.

I am excited about moving, don't get me wrong. I am so excited to be close to my great friend Lacey, and my cousin Peter in Minnesota. Mainly, I am excited about the whole new adventure it will bring. 2 months from today, I will be starting a new life journey. It will be rough, but it will probably be one of the best experiences of my life. I know I can handle it. Whatever happens, I know my friends and family love me and that is all that really matters.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No biggee! Sure, we'll all miss you, and vice versa, but what's the harm in trying this? You could live there forever, or just for a year, but it'll be a good experience. Finally living away from your home to see what your really want. No worries (as Eleni always says), you'll just be a $800 plane ride away!

So, does that mean I should be taking advantage of you still being here? Like, would you watch the kids while I go skiing tonight? Hmmm, maybe I WILL miss you ;)