Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My Name is Hannah, and I am a Shopaholic.

"I cannot live without this". I constantly have that look.

I just saw Confessions of a Shopaholic last night and realized it was the story of my life. Not the part about debt collectors stalking me, working at a magazine, or falling in love, but the rest of it. The parts about shopping because it makes your life better and the world better, you cannot live without any of it, and you refuse to give any of it away. Yeah, those parts. I am out of control. Even when I try to save money, it never works, I just end up going shopping. I never really feel guilty for shopping. That is the problem.

When I am bored, I shop. When I feel bad about myself or a situation, I shop. And, I am pretty sure I am evil enough to force my addiction onto other people by making them buy things they would never have bought before. Just ask David and Jason. Hey, it's just money, right? It is a vicious cycle, but I like it! I almost get annoyed when people don't like shopping. Um, seriously? Who do you think you are? Shopping is the greatest therapy out there. I do always ask myself: Is it really necessary that you buy so much stuff, and don't use ANY of it for like a month, while it sits in shopping bags on your bedroom floor? No, it is not necessary, or logical, but just having the shopping bags full of stuff makes me feel better. Oh man, as I am writing this, I am freaking myself out! This is baaaaad news!

The phrase "do I really need this" usually does not exist in my vocabulary, unless it is a very big purchase. In that instance, I will think about it a little bit, then usually end up buying it. I am not good at saying no. Another thing I am not good at? Turning down a sale. I am a huge sucker for sales and actually have gotten pretty good at sale shopping. Sales are the ultimate in shopping world. You score the most outrageous deals and still have more money to spend on non sale items. I know, that sounds wack, but that is how we function.

Greatest name for a girl who loves shopping/fashion and works in journalism? Rebecca Bloomwood. Hands down. That is Isla Fisher, the main character in the movie. She is fantastic, adorable, I want to be her! Her fashion sense is outrageously awesome, her closet takes up her entire bedroom, and she is passionate about shopping. It is the one thing that makes her feel right. The way she talks about shopping like it is an experience and you have to enjoy every purchase, not rush through the stores. Um, duh! Who doesn't like to look at handbags for an hour and still not decide on one, but maybe 3?

I will say this. I am going to sell alot of my handbags, clothes and everything else I own (much of it with the tags still on) before I move in May. I have already started the process of sorting through everything and it is liberating for sure. Unfortunately, it makes me want to go buy more stuff. I really need to get a handle on this, we shall see... Now all I need is to work for a magazine and fall in love and my life would be complete. I'll take the job, not the love, who needs that?

5 comments:

Christine said...

This is what you do: Have a massive garage sale/Craig's list add, then take the money you make to buy new stuff in MN. I am totally with you--I love to shop. Remember the good old days of Hannah and Christine Shopping Saturdays? Ah, good times. I get "The Talk" from Dn. John about every three months about shopping less. He doesn't get it. :) "Why can't you go look and not buy anything?" WHAT?? HELLO!!

Hannah said...

Totally!! I already decided I was going to have a huge sale and buy all new stuff at Ikea in MN. I am selling all my furniture too! Ah,I totally forgot about our shopping days, good times indeed! Hello is right, some people need to get a grip on this shopping business. Just let us do it and noone will get hurt, mmk?

Christine said...

Ah...Ikea....

It's like the promised land. I've never been to one, which is just as well since I would want everything.

Christine said...

p.s. Let me know when your sale is...I will help add to your Ikea fund. haha. But seriously. Let me know.

The Murray's said...

LOL - Read Retail Therapy: Life Lessons learned by shopping by Amanda Ford.... Helped me out. Hahahahhahhaaaa! I have the same problem.... Well, it's gotten a LOT better over the years, but before I met Paul..... Man was I a shopper!