Friday, July 10, 2009

Mr. Thornton or Mr. Darcy...That's a Toughie

Mr. Thornton, wearing his shirt the way I told him to.

Where do I even begin... Facebook, of course. So, my sister Hillary and I are basically obsessed with RomComs and "Period Dramas". Okay, let's be real, we just love movies in general. Pride & Prejudice? Hell yes, I will take Mr. Darcy any day! So, Hillary had been talking to me about North and South before I moved and I was so busy gathering all my business that I was not really interested. Then, I saw that she was freaking obsessed with talking about it on Facebook with our friend, Marie in California and I knew something must be real fantastic about this show! Just to clarify, Marie and I have a Bachelor/Bachelorette obsession that we frequently talk about on Facebook and we seem to have very similar interests in the way of tv and movies. So, naturally, I started to get anxious to hear more about this show, and frankly, a little jealous that this awesomeness was going on without me!!

I cannot even describe North and South, except to say that it is amazing. I imagine that everyone reading this post has seen Pride & Prejudice with Keira Knightley (stupid question, I know), and, like me, was a little sceptical that any movie could surpass its greatness. But, I am pretty sure North and South will be added to my "watch at least every 2 months" movie pile, right next to P&P. As soon as I watched the finale of N&S, I rewound it and watched the last 5 minutes again. I did the same the next night, because naturally, that is the best part of the whole series!
Mr. Darcy, does he ever smile?

Can you compare Mr. Darcy and Mr. Thornton? I don't think so! They are both total a-holes who eventually win your heart. It took me much longer to fall for Mr. Darcy than for Mr. Thornton. As soon as I saw Mr. Darcy I was like, really, that is who they picked to be Mr. Darcy? Then I became obsessed with him, obviously. As soon as Mr. T appeared on the screen, I looked over to Hillary and said "he is hot." Sold. Something about him being such an ass was really appealing (that sounds real bad). Maybe because you could also see his love for Margaret and that he really was a sensitive dude. Darcy was just a turd the majority of the time, but wicked charming. Yes, he loved Liz, but hellllloooo, you don't break up a girls sister and her bf, okay? I don't know which one I like better. That is pretty much asking me which of my handbags is my favorite, it is torture to chose! I am now officially obsessed with both of them.

Let's be clear, Pride and Prejudice and North and South quite possibly have the best endings to any movie I have ever seen, short of Notting Hill, which is the ultimate ending for RomComs. Right? They are totes worth the watch! Great, now I want to watch them both, right now!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Spot on. Descriptions of both men and your problem with choosing. Spot on. But I have no problem choosing. Mr. Thornton. Hands down. I could write pages and pages, but I won't. Read the book!

Juliana S. said...

I know I am going to get yelled at for saying this but neither, Mr. Gibson from W&D and then Mr. Darcy... then Mr. Thornton.

Unknown said...

EW! Mr Gibson Molly's dad?! SICK! Do you mean Mr Roger Hamley? I think he's tied with Mr Darcy in my book.

Sara said...

This post is old, but I came here to say that the Keira Knightley Pride & Prejudice blows. Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy is the only one that should exist.

It's a tough call between his portrayal of Darcy and the Mr. Thornton in the North & South miniseries, though.