Sunday, July 26, 2009

Rome: Dirtiest City.

The Coliseum, my favorite part of Rome.

Ok, back to my Italy posts... We finally made it to Rome after a ridiculous 4 hours train ride from Pisa. We did not even see the Leaning Tower of Pisa because we got in after dark and were so annoyed with the town, worst town in Italy. We were stuck on this crazy train with about a million 16-18 yr olds heading to the Labor Day free concert in Rome. People were sitting on the floor, standing with their armpits in my face, you know, the usual. Thank goodness we all three got a seat, otherwise that would have been a horrible, horrible train ride. As soon as we arrived in Rome, I already did not like it. The train ride really pissed me off. We realized that yet again, most of the museums and other things we wanted to see were closed for the holiday, so we went on a night walk (Rick Steves book, pretty sweet walk) to the Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Spanish Steps and a few other places. I will say this about Rome, it has a beautiful and awesome nightlife!

The Coliseum was breathtaking. I think I took more pictures of the Coliseum, than anything else on our trip. We got the audio guides, which was a first, and I am so glad we did! I was constantly envisioning what really happened there and that was awesome! I kept thinking about Gladiator, obviously, and it made it that much more real. I then of course, could not stop thinking about how hot Russel Crowe was in the movie.

We saw Trevi Fountain 3 times and I was still in love by third time. It was breathtakingly beautiful. The Spanish Steps were pretty, but I could not really tell because of the thousand people sitting on them. I literally had to kick garbage out of my way to walk up the steps. I was not to happy about that. I found Rome to be the dirtiest city I have ever been to. I have traveled to a lot of big cities, so that is saying a lot. I also was no impressed with people leaning on statues in the Vatican museum. Really?!?! That put me over the edge. How about a little museum respect? Just a thought...

After a insanely long time in the Rome airport (2 very very long security lines, good times), Kim and I departed Italy on our way back to the states. David followed on a different flight. I was ready to leave, but already planning my next trip back! Italy was the greatest experience. I cannot wait to go back and spend more time on the coast and Tuscany!!! If you ever have the opportunity to go to Italy, DO IT! And ask me to go with you, because I will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea Im not a fan of Italy much Kim, we found it to be really dirty and I just felt the museums and artifacts were poorly run and cared for :(

On the plus side Paris is great :)

-Angela (Williams)