Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Music on My Mind

I have been listening to some really great music lately and have to share!! I am obsessed with music, concerts, and anything involving them. Most of my travel involves a concert/show, and I would not have it any other way. Seeing a band live is like no other. It is such a happy, emotional, spectacular time. Especially when you are in love with the band! For me, it becomes quite the emotional experience and I get really nervous before each show, like I am the one performing or something. Really, I feel like I am going to vomit. I am usually speechless through the first couple songs, then I chill out and take it all in. Obviously, concerts take over my mind, but it is sooo awesome! Just writing about this is getting me all fired up!!

On to the music.

Bruce Springsteen, album - The Ghost of Tom Joad: phenomenal. This album is from 1995. I am a big Bruce fan, but this is like nothing I have ever heard from him. It is super mellow and really showcases that he is a very talented artist, he doesn't only sing Born to Run. I first heard it when I was babysitting for some neighbors, at least 5 years ago. Every time I went to their house I would put it on. I'm pretty sure the kids got really sick of hearing it. But, it was either that or steal it, and that was not going to to happen. I had a really hard time finding the album until I was in AZ last week and Noah and Jeremy took me to a record store. Yahtzee! I got it used for $7. Perfect all around. I think this album really deserves a listen and it might even change the way you feel about his music.

Little Joy, self titled first album: They make me smile! Look at them, a-dorable! I want to join their group!! With Fabrizio Moretti (aka the love of my life and the drummer for The Strokes) writing the majority of their tunes and the fantastic voices of Rodgrio Amarante (Los Hermanos) and Bikini Shapiro, I am completely drawn in. The soft voice of Bikini sounds effortless and warms your heart. Oh Fabrizzio, how I love you. He is a instrumental genius and is a great song writer. Rodrigo's strong sound gives the album what it needs and makes you feel like he is smiling the whole time he is singing. They all do their part instrumentally and don't mess around. You can tell they are doing this because they love it, and that is what it is all about! They have a touch of South American sound with happy beach sound mixed in. They finished their album living in a house together in CA and their name is after a cocktail lounge down the street. How awesome are they?? This group oozes with life and love and I am totally addicted. (FYI, Fabrizio is on the right)


Lykki Li, album - Youth Novels: Hailing from Sweden, this gal is blowing my mind. She is the definition of precious pop and is very talented. The album is not necessarily poppy, but it is different. She has her own style and I like that. One song in particular with her speaking and a trumpet playing, gets me every time, I could listen to that over and over all day long(FYI, I have a thing for the trumpet sound). Every song is enjoyable. She draws you in because she is not the norm, she has heart, she has desire, she is creative, she is unique and makes it sound so effortless. Something about her voice and her music is just mesmerizing. Honestly, I think we could be best friends if we met. I'm just saying.


Bon Iver, album- For Emma, Forever Ago: I am listening to their cd as I write this, it makes me sooooo happy and sad at the same time. I randomly found this album at Barnes and Noble months ago and have not stopped listening to it. I feel like no music has ever touched me as this cd has. I know that sounds extreme, but really, it is amazing, I almost do not know how to describe it. You can feel the emotion in every song. Justin Vernon went to the woods a distraught heart broken man and came out three months later with a phenomenal record that you can't stop listening to. I will take a break from this album every couple days. But, I always go back. With his flawless voice, Justin has created a genius album that is extremely cohesive and mellow, an album that only heartbreak could produce. I hope that I have the pleasure of seeing them live one day, in a really small intimate venue, that would be so perfect!

Let me know if you listen to any of these albums or artists. I am curious to see what other people think. My mind is obviously blown, but that does not mean much to anyone else. Happy listening!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how you always write all these super in-depth descriptive blogs about life, your dreams, music etc.; while you are AT WORK! Seriously. It is awesome! You must not be motivated much these days...

The Murray's said...

HANNAH! OMG, HI! how are you? Love the blog.... :)