Tuesday, February 3, 2009

You Had Me at Watergate


I watched Frost/Nixon this weekend and was blown away. It is by far one of my favorite movies of 2008 (right up there with Slumdog Millionaire, Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Man On Wire). There is one moment about 5 minutes into the movie where I could not look away from the screen and knew that I was going to be in love with the film. Indeed, I was in love. I knew the basics about Watergate, but not much more than that. I knew the scandal, I knew the controversy, but nothing really prepared me for these interviews. I was very intrigued and interested just to learn more about them and the scandal.

I was so captivated. The whole movie truth and admittance is sought from Nixon, and damn, did Frost get it or what! It was mesmerizing watching these two phenomenal actors perform. Frank Langella (Richard Nixon) and Michael Sheen (David Frost) were incredible. I instantly fell in love with Michael Sheen. I was rooting for him the whole time. A British TV show host interviewing the former President of the United States? That is crazytalk! No, it is genius. Frost knew what he needed, what the American people wanted to hear from Nixon and fought to get it. Even when I thought he was not prepared enough to interview Nixon, I still found myself fighting for him. I really got into these characters and almost cried at one point. Frank Langella was awesome. You hated him, thought he was a scum bag, but you also had this heartfelt sympathy for him. Spectacularly done. The supporting cast was so well chosen, it is not even funny. With Sam Rockwell (one of my all time faves), Kevin Bacon (who has aged quite well), Oliver Platt (Classically awesome), and Matthew Macfadyen (Yes, he is Mr. Darcy in Pride & Prejudice, so of course I loved him) how could you go wrong? This film is downright gloriously done. Well done Ron Howard, well done.

I think that everyone should see this film. Scandal, betrayal, trust and faith. This film portrayed all of those beautifully and really opened my eyes to a political time before me, a time that I have always feared and questioned. Government is not for the weak, that is for damn sure. Frost/Nixon is a phenomenal film, I cannot say it enough.

No comments: