Wednesday, December 17, 2008

That Tire Won't Pump Itself

My family is always giving me crap about how I don't really know how to do much. I don't really bake or cook (I can, but never really got into it), I don't know how to change a tire, check my oil, or drive a stick shift. My sisters say I always got away with not doing too much physical labor, or anything else. Haha, sorry guys, I was the baby!

Last week, I went out to my car to go to work. My tire was flat. Alright, no biggie, I will just see if I can make it to Tesoro and pump it up, then take it to get fixed at Johnson's. Stupid idea. Seriously, "hello, you will ruin your rim, bitch!" This is what I was telling myself when I got about 100 feet down the road and it was not going so well. So, I went back to my house and had to wake Hill up to tell me where Dan (my bro in-law) keeps his compressor. (Sidenote: My tire had a slow leak for a couple weeks at this point, and this had happened before, but Dan was there to blow up my tire and all was good.) So, the little one wasn't working, so we tried the medium, no change, at this point about 1.5 hours had passed, so we tried the big kahuna. Nothing. Nada. My tire was flat as a pancake. Yes, Dan has 3 compressors, different sizes no less. Hill had to go be a mom and I was starting to have a breakdown. I was already almost 2 hours late for work and now was going to have to pay over $100 to have someone come fix my tire. It was at this moment that I was soooo mad. Not at my tire, or myself for not getting it fixed earlier, nooo. In typical Hannah fashion, I was mad at my dad for living 30 miles away and not being there all the time when I needed him, especially when I was in crisis mode! I do realize I could have saved alot of time and money by changing my own tire. Right. Hell if I know how! I was never shown how and if you know me, you know that it would have been way worse for me to try to change the tire, then just pay the damn money to get it fixed. I get frustrated real easy. So, while I was waiting for the mobile tire fixer guy to come, I proceeded to cry into my wee pilla and have a major breakdown. Ugh, I have got to get a grip!

Needless to say, I have got alot of learning to do. I am pretty sure I have to call my dad every time I feel the need to check my oil. "Okay, remind me how to do this again." I am sure he is like, Hannah you are 25 years old and my daughter. And I am a bear that climbs mountains for a living, how do you not know how to do this. But, my dad is very gracious with me.

Believe it or not, I consider myself to be pretty independent. So, I guess I should learn how to do some of this stuff. Or, I could just have someone on call, besides my dad, who can take care of the "manly tasks" for me. Yeah right, not if they knew who they were dealing with. Am I right?

1 comment:

The Knight Family said...

Hannah,
your dad IS awesome. The best advice he gave me was to always fill my gas tank whenever it got to 1/4 tank. He said this very lovingly and fatherly after he picked up Hillary, Kim and I on the Ealge River bridge when my car ran out of gas. Did I mention it was freezing cold and snowing? No questions asked; he just came to help.